Monday, January 10, 2011

HaPPy New YeAR

Happy New Year!! Well another year has come to an end. The years just seem to be going by so fast the older... I mean younger I get. I started out 2010 with a babbling little baby, and I now have a walking talking whirling wind of little girl. My other two lovelys are also growing at rapid pace. Soon we will have Jr. High *yikes* and even though Lily is in 1st grade, silly girlyness " Oh My God, today at school" has graced our house.

So the family and I went on a little adventure for the New Years. Our first stop was at my in-laws house in Redding Ca. for our traditional/Non traditional New Years celebration. The kids had a great time playing with cousins, and we enjoyed our normal 5 star accommodations  provided to us.... Although no beer brewing this year  :-(

Our second stop was Portland Or. to visit my two brothers, sister and of course mi padre who recently shipped himself up there to join the group. Although I do enjoy seeing all of my family I was especially excited about this leg of the journey. I haven't ventured up to P-town in almost 2 years due to having the baby , and guilting  my mom into moving back to the valley. I absolutely love Portland and all of its crappy weather. I had the pleasure of being birthed there and although my parents and I moved away when I was 2, I definitely feel at home when ever I am there.



So I thought I'd share MY list of Places to see, especially if you are a first timer. I know I will probably get yelled at by the fam for not picking more untouristy places, but even after many visits I still enjoy going to these places.. I could probably come up with a  bigger list if I was going to be there longer * and if it wasn't winter* ! Also this list is not a top ranking list ( # 1 is not necessarily my favoritest place of all. Some of these places I might skip if I were there by myself..)

1. Omsi- Science based museum of fun for kids and adults. Kind of like the exploratorium in SF. They have an IMAX theatre,  a planetarium, and exhibits that change often giving us something new to look at each time we go. This is definitely a good place to go with kids! Here is the link to their website if you are ever in town.

Lily testing out one of the Exhibits



Lucy and Daddy playing with Blocks





My awesome sis




And of course Chase




2. Avalon-another great place to go with kids. The Avalon is a 5 cent arcade,  and is so way better than going to the CHEESE or that other pizza buffet place.. I am not much of a gambler so when ever I have gone to Reno/Tahoe *I have not been to Vegas in my adult life :'-( * I really enjoy the 5 cent slot machines, SO what could be better than a 5cent arcade !?! For 5 bucks you get a baggie with 100 nickles and can play for hours, OK maybe 10-20 mins! Here again is the link if you are in need

3. Fabric Depot- OK here is one place I would go by myself., no kids! I have many reasons why I would love/need to move to Portland and this is high on list. For you visual people consider this the Costco of fabric stores, and for those of you who don't sew you probably think I am crazy. They just have everything here, where at home I have to go to at least two different stores to get what I am looking for!

4. Voodoo Donut- Been there done that bought the sweatshirt, but I definitely want to go back this trip.  it is just a yummy goodness destination for  donutty concoctions. MY fav's Bacon Maple bar, Dirt donut( oreo's on top) ,  and the No Name...  Plus I like getting the " you've been there "! when i wear my sweater at home. Check out the website  here.

5. Saturday Market, but unfortunately for me the season is over until the spring  :-(   So I will have to wait and go on my next visit..I also like to check out all the fun shops on Hawthorne  but I spent all my christmas cash at the fabric store.

I was so sad to leave, but school, work and life was calling.

~Bianca

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun way to start the New Year! And when I get to visit there, I'm trying all your spots!

    ReplyDelete